Maryland Motor Vehicle Theft Lawyer | CR 7-105
Motor vehicle theft is a serious crime in Maryland, subject to hefty penalties. Understanding these laws, the consequences of a conviction, and how a professional defense attorney can help is essential for anyone facing such charges.
Understanding Motor Vehicle Theft Law in Maryland
According to Maryland Criminal Law Section 7-105, motor vehicle theft occurs when an individual knowingly and willfully takes a motor vehicle out of the owner's lawful custody, control, or use without the owner's consent. Here, the term "owner" refers to a person having a lawful interest in or is in lawful possession of a motor vehicle by consent or chain of consent of the title owner.
Penalties for Motor Vehicle Theft
Violating this section can lead to severe repercussions. Individuals found guilty of motor vehicle theft can face:
- A felony charge of taking a motor vehicle,
- Imprisonment not exceeding 5 years,
- A fine not exceeding $5,000, or
- Both imprisonment and fine.
Additionally, the violator must restore the motor vehicle to the owner or, if restoration is impossible, pay the owner the full value of the motor vehicle.
Prosecution for Motor Vehicle Theft
The prosecution must prove two main elements to convict someone of motor vehicle theft:
- The defendant knowingly and willfully took a motor vehicle,
- The defendant took the motor vehicle from the owner's custody, control, or use without the owner's consent.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the law for auto theft in Maryland?
The law for auto theft in Maryland is outlined in Criminal Law Code Section 7-105, which stipulates the conditions under which a person can be charged and the penalties for motor vehicle theft.
What is the most stolen vehicle in Maryland?
Various reports suggest different models being stolen more frequently. However, hiring a professional attorney can significantly help irrespective of the vehicle model involved in your case.
How much theft is considered a felony in Maryland?
In Maryland, motor vehicle theft is considered a felony, which can lead to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years, a fine not exceeding $5,000, or both.
Why am I also charged with unauthorized removal of property?
Many times in motor vehicle theft cases a person is also charged with unauthorized removal of property. These charges often come together as they can encompass the same or similar behaviour. Unauthorized removal of property has different elements that the State must prove and is often easier to prove than motor vehicle theft.
How Our Firm Can Help
At FrizWoods, we specialize in criminal defense for various crimes including motor vehicle theft. Our team is dedicated to providing robust defense strategies to help our clients navigate through these challenging legal situations.
Unique Selling Points of Our Firm
- Experienced Defense Team: With years of experience in handling motor vehicle theft cases, our attorneys are well-versed with the Maryland Criminal Law Code and will provide a strong defense for your case.
- Client-Centric Approach: Our firm prioritizes the needs and interests of our clients. We provide personalized legal solutions tailored to each client's unique situation.
- Proven Track Record: Our reviews page showcases numerous testimonials from satisfied clients whom we've helped in the past.
- Transparent Communication: We maintain open communication with our clients throughout the legal process, keeping them informed and involved in every critical decision.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Criminal Defense Attorney
- Expertise in Law: A professional criminal defense attorney is knowledgeable about the complex laws surrounding motor vehicle theft and will provide the necessary legal guidance.
- Strategic Defense: They will develop a solid defense strategy to challenge the prosecution's evidence and aim to achieve the most favorable outcome.
- Negotiation Skills: Our attorneys are adept in negotiating with prosecutors for reduced charges or lesser sentences.
Speak with a lawyer today.
Facing charges for motor vehicle theft can be overwhelming. However, with the professional legal assistance from FrizWoods, you have a robust defense team ready to fight for your rights and ensure the best possible outcome for your case. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and discuss your legal options.
Aggressive, experienced, and available. Max handled my case aggressively, gave me expert advice, and was available anytime I needed him. His experience and expertise in the field was evident from our first conversation. I’m 100% satisfied with Max, the firm, and the results of my case. I highly recommend this firm for any of your legal needs.